Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Pre-term Labor

So, last Monday while I was working everything seemed to be going ok until about 10:00. I noticed I was starting to have a few more contractions than normal. I have been having them for quite some time now, so at first I didn't think anything of it. Then I remembered the doc told me if I have more than 5 in an hour I needed to call. Well I had at least counted 7 so I called Lane and said do you think I need to call or am I being over sensitive. He said to call and so I did. This was about 11:30. I left a message for the nurse and she called back within 5 minutes and told me to go straight to labor and delivery at the hospital, b/c I could be having even more that I wasn't feeling. That's when I started to get scared. I decided I better tell someone I worked with what was going on and I insisted I drive myself to the hospital. I called Lane and told him to meet me there.

I was crying and probably should have had someone drive me, but i was on a mission. I made it to EGH in 20 minutes from South Bend(record time for me) and went upstairs. Lane wasn't there yet, b/c I drove so fast. They got me back and hooked me up to some monitors to see what was going on. By that time i was having contractions about every 2 to 5 minutes and I was freaking out. They were mild at first only lasting about 15 or 20 seconds and then they kept getting longer and longer, some over a minute. Lane was timing them on his contraction app. on his phone:) They gave me some procardia and sent me downstairs for an ultrasound. Contractions seemed to ease I thought and the babies looked good, so I was like yes I will be getting out of here soon.

Well as soon as I got back upstairs there they came again. They gave me another procardia and still that wasn't working. Finally the doc said I was going to be spending the night and they gave me a shot and magically in about 10 minutes the contractions had stopped. I was so relieved, b/c I knew at being only 24 weeks pregnant the babies wouldn't have a very good chance of making it.

The night went well I had to take meds every 4 hours and the next morning I got to come home and have been on bedrest ever since. I knew this was possible, but I didn't think it would be here this soon. So for the next several weeks I will be bound to my house, my recliner and bed and doing a whole lot of nothing. So, if anyone wants to come over please feel free, my schedule is pretty open. Thanks again everyone for your thoughts and prayers!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment